The interfacial multiphysics lab is focused on advancements in “interface by choice” structural and functional materials for additive manufacturing, nuclear safety, explosive safety, and extreme environment monitoring using nanomechanical Raman spectroscopy (NMRs) , an analytical technology developed in the laboratory .
Problems addressed have included: nuclear materials (Zircaloy, IN-617), energetic materials (HMX, AP, HTPB), biological materials (Bone, Deep Sea Shrimp), energy materials (Si, Si-Ge superlattices), structural materials (structural steels, IN-718), high temperature materials (SiC based, ZrB2 based and SiC-SiN materials), civil engineering materials (concrete-steel interfaces) and armor materials (TiB2 and Al2O3 based materials) etc.
Key Editorial Contributions
- Lab's work on deep sea shrimps is featured by American Society of Civil Engineers Magazine (http://www.asce.org/magazine/20150811-extreme-shrimp-studied-as-models-for-new-materials/). Other sites include Yahoo, Tumbler etc.
Here is Purdue News Release link: http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2015/Q3/advanced-composites-may-borrow-designs-from-deep-sea-shrimp.html
- A new analytic technology developed in the lab-referred to as Nanomechanical Raman Spectroscopy reveals important temperature dependent surface stress traits at micro-scale in materials undergoing deformation. News Release Links:Purdue, Phys.Org, nanowerk, hispanicbusiness, photonic spectra
- Related Articles:
1. Gan, M., and Tomar, V., 2014, Surface stress variation as a function of applied compressive stress and temperature in microscale silicon, AIP Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 116, 073502 (10 pages)
2. Gan, M., and Tomar, V., 2014, A Raman Spectroscopy Based Investigation of Thermal Conductivity of Stressed Silicon Micro-Cantilevers, to Appear in AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer.
3. Gan, M., and Tomar, V., 2014, Temperature dependent microscale uniaxial creep of silicon and surface dominated deformation mechanisms, ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 5, 021004 (2014) (9 pages).
4. Gan, M., and Tomar, V., 2014, An in-situ platform for the investigation of Raman shift in micro-scale silicon structures as a function of mechanical stress and temperature increase, AIP Review of Scientific Instruments, Volume 85, Pages 013902 (1-10).
- Nanocomposite Ceramics - Multiscale Modeling of Failure
- Using Experiments with Small Scale Modeling to Understand Interfaces in Biological and Biomimetic Materials
- Integrated Computational Material Science of Gears
- U.S. Patent Application, Filed: July, 2014, Title: System and Method for Nanomechanical Raman Spectroscopy Purdue patent processing No.: 2014-TOMA-66742,US Patent 20,160,018,334
- BOOK, BOOK CHAPTERS, EDITED JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES, MAGAZINE ARTICLES, AND EDITED PROCEEDINGS
- Tomar, V., Dubey, D., Qu, T., Verma, D., Zhang, Y., 2016, “Multiscale Characterization of Biological systems”, Springer, ISBN:978-1-4939-3453-9 (Book: http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781493934515)
- Editorial: “Interface Strength Measurements”, A special issue in Journal of Materials, January 2017
- Editorial: “Interface Characterization”, A special issue in Journal of Materials, February, 2017
- REFEREED INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
(students underlined and primary author has asterisk)
- Prakash*, C., Lee, H., Alucozai, M., and Tomar, V., 2016, An analysis of the influence of grain boundary strength on microstructure dependent fracture in polycrystalline tungsten, International Journal of Fracture, Volume 199 (1), pp 1-20.
- Biswas*, S., Schwen, D., Singh, J., and Tomar, V., 2016, A Study of the evolution of microstructure and consolidation kinetics during field assisted sintering using a phase field modeling based approach, Extreme Mechanics Letters, Volume 7, pp 78-89.
- Seiler*, P.E., Siegmund, T., Zhang, Y., and Tomar, V., 2016, Stationary and Propagating Cracks In A Strain Gradient Visco-Plastic Solid, International Journal of Fracture, Volume 202, pp 111-125.
- Hu*, R., Prakash*, C., Tomar, V., Harr, M., Gunduz, I.E., Oskay, C., 2016, Experimentally validated mesoscale modeling of the coupled mechanical–thermal response of AP–HTPB energetic material under dynamic loading, International Journal of Fracture, Volume 203, pp 277-298.
- Zhang*, Y., Mohanty, D.P., Tomar, V., 2016, Visualizing in-situ Microstructure Dependent Crack Tip Stress Distribution in IN-617 Using Nano-mechanical Raman Spectroscopy, Journal of Materials (TMS), Volume 68, Issue 11, pp 2742–2747.
- Verma*, D., Exner, M., and Tomar, V., 2016, An Investigation into Strain Rate Dependent Constitutive Properties of a Sandwiched Epoxy Interface, Materials and Design, Volume 112, 345-356.
- Verma*, D., Biswas, S., Prakash, C., and Tomar, V., 2017, Relating Interface Evolution with Interface Mechanics based on Interface Properties, Journal of Materials (TMS), Volume 69, Issue 1, pp 30–38.
- Wang*, B., Haque, M., Tomar, V., Hattar, K., 2017, Self-ion irradiation effects on mechanical properties of nanocrystalline zirconium films, to appear in MRS Communications, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1557/mrc.2017.51, Published online: 13 July 2017
- Nguyen*, T., Tomar, V., Kruzic, J., and Siegmund, T., 2017, Interaction of rate- and size-effect using a dislocation density based strain gradient viscoplasticity model, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 109, pp. 1 - 21, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmps.2017.07.022
- Zhang*, Y., Mohanty, D.P., Seiler, P., Siegmund, T., Kruzic, J., 2017, Tomar, V., High Temperature Indentation Based Property Measurements of Inconel IN-617, International J Plasticity, Vol. 96, pp. 264 - 281, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2017.05.007.
- Mohanty*, D.P., Wang, H., Okuniewski, M., and Tomar, V., 2017, A nanomechanical Raman spectroscopy based assessment of stress distribution in irradiated and corroded SiC, J Nuclear Materials, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2017.07.025.
- Biswas*, S., Wang, H., Han, Y.S., and Tomar, V., 2017, Phase field modeling of microstructure evolution in polycrystalline W under irradiation, Submitted.
- Prakash*, C., Gunduz, I., Oskay, C., and Tomar, V., 2017, Effect of interface chemistry and strain rate on strain rate dependent particle-matrix delamination in an energetic material, Submitted.
- Biswas*, S., Schwen, D., and Tomar, V., 2017, Implementation of a phase field model for simulating evolution of two powder particles representing microstructural changes during sintering, Submitted.
- Verma*, D., Exner, M., and Tomar, V., 2017, Interface Mechanics and Its Correlation with Interface Elastic Constants, Submitted.
- Zhang*, Y., Tomar, V., 2017, A nanomechanical Raman spectroscopy based approach to measure microstructure level stresses and temperature in superalloys, Submitted.
- PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- Zhang, Y., and Tomar, V., 2016, “Analyses of nanoscale to microscale strength and crack-tip stresses using nanomechanical Raman spectroscopy in IN-617”, in Proceedings of SEM 2016, June 6-9, 2016, Orlando, FL, Paper No. 17 (10 pages).
- Prakash, C., Verma, D., Exner, M., Gunduz, E., and Tomar, V., 2016, “Strain rate dependent failure of interfaces examined via nanoimpact experiments”, in Proceedings of SEM 2016, June 6-9, 2016, Orlando, FL, Paper No. 18 (12 pages).
- Verma, D., Qu, T., and Tomar, V., 2016, “Scale dependence of the mechanical properties of interfaces in Crustaceans thin films”, in Proceedings of SEM 2016, June 6-9, 2016, Orlando, FL, Paper No. 284 (12 pages).
- Verma, D., Prakash, C., and Tomar, V., 2016, “Interface Mechanics and its Correlation with Plasticity in Polycrystalline Metals, Polymer Composites, and Natural Materials”, in 11th International Symposium on Plasticity and Impact Mechanics, Implast 2016, IIT-Delhi, India, December 12-15, 2016 (8 pages).
- Zhang, Y., and Tomar, V., 2017, “Nanomechanical Raman Spectroscopy based investigation of crack tip stresses in IN-617”, in I. Charit et al. (eds.), Mechanical and Creep Behavior of Advanced Materials, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-51097-2_22, Proceedings of 2017 TMS Annual Meeting, February 26 – March 2, 2017, San Diego Convention Center and Marriott Marquis & Marina, San Diego, CA (4 pages).